Monday, January 13, 2014

Gluten-Free Bread in My Tummy

Since receiving Lily's celiac diagnosis we've struggled with finding a Gluten Free bread that she would actually eat and that we felt ok about feeding her.  We discovered that quite a few of the whole grain GF options just had a horrible taste.  FYI Amaranth Flour tastes like dirt.  Literally.  Dirt.

After quite a few unsuccessful attempts at finding something that a small kiddo would eat I stumbled upon a bread mix from Glutino.  I bought it, thinking "Why Not?!, I've tried everything else!"  I had little hope that this bread mix was going to be anything that my daughter would eat.  I took it home and followed the directions for my bread machine and WOW was I ever surprised by what came out.

This bread.  This wondrous bread.  It was unlike any of the other dense, mostly nasty GF breads we had tried before.  It was light and fluffy and it tasted DELICIOUS.  My daughter was so excited that she was going to get her favorite grilled cheese sandwich for lunch the next day.  It grilled up wonderfully and Miss Lily LOVED IT.  Bonus,  it did not spike her blood sugar or cause immediate lows; or any highs later in the day.  We had a smooth BG day.  The glucoaster was no where in sight!

The best part, I bought the mix for $3.99 on sale.  This is waaay cheaper than the average loaf of GF bread in the grocery store.  It also makes a 2lb loaf which will give you 20 servings.  More if you slice it thin, and for those of you counting carbs,  it has been pretty consistently 0.5 carbs per gram of weight per slice.

So.  Glutino's Favorite Sandwich Bread Mix.  We love you.  Thank you for making my life a little better and letting my kiddo enjoy her favorite grilled cheese again!  You achieved a Miss Lily rating of Two Thumbs Up! 

Here is a picture of my beautiful loaf of bread, right out of the bread machine.

No comments:

Post a Comment